Thursday, December 1, 2011

Double Dead by Chuck Wendig

Date Published: 2011, Abaddon.
ISBN: 978-1-907992-41-4
# of Pages: 168

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Where do I even begin? When I was a preteen I went through an obligatory vampire phase that was regrettably short lived due to just how picky I am about these sorts of things. I didn't give up vampires because I didn't like them, I gave up vampires because I had run out of vampire material that was truly awesome. It took about roughly six months.

So oh how long have I awaited a story like Chuck Wendig's novel, which I just by-chance happened to pick up off the rack at a bookstore a week ago and proceeded to tear through in two days. It was absolutely everything I love about horror/fantasy. Zombies and vampires are nothing new, but Wendig makes it seem like they are. Who knew that all that was needed to refresh both zombies and vampires was to just smash them together?

Of course, Double Dead is more than that. Coburn the vampire, the novel's main protagonist, is delightful. See how he systematically devours human after human with no remorse, see how he quips his way through many a conversation. I imagine some might be offended by the profanity (oh god the profanity) and in some cases I'd be tempted to agree, but it just seems so necessary for the character that I actually found myself enjoying the various ways in which Coburn derided, abused and dismissed his human compatriots. He is a vampire after all, let's not forget that. He certainly wouldn't let you.

While the entire plot really centers around the relationship Coburn develops with a band of humans that have somehow managed to survive the zombie apocalypse, I enjoyed far more the instances in which Coburn was allowed to have free reign on the narrative. There is a particularly gruesome scene involving cannibals and a WalMart that I would prefer not to ruin for anyone. I think this might be due to my general dislike of the other main protagonist, a young girl named Kayla whose blood has some seriously neat and magical properties. I found her contribution to the overall plot really enjoyable, but her as an individual -- not so much. It's difficult for me to pinpoint why, but I might just really not like teenagers. Iunno.

But this is a relatively minor blip on the radar screen of overall awesome that is Double Dead. Give me more, I say. The ending of the novel (as well as some loose threads earlier on that are not actually quite as loose as they are just sort of waiting -- such as wtf tell me more about Coburn's maker) really begs for more.

The universe the novel takes place in is awesome on its own (keep your eye out early on for INSANE MUTANT VAMPIRE ZOMBIES, I'm not making this up) but what really made this novel work for me was the obvious work put into character development. I feel like people talk a lot of talk about how important being able to connect to characters is, but few walk the walk. Wendig does. I trust him with my hard-earned, distractionary book money. If you even care a little bit about vampires, zombies or really cool shit in general, you should, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment