Friday, March 16, 2012

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Date Published: 2008, HarperCollins Children.
ISBN: 978-0-06-0530945
# of Pages: 312

I had never read anything by Neil Gaiman before I picked up this book. I know, I know. Sue me. I have this tendency to want to read things people tell me to read and then shirk those suggestions as though fighting some evil demon that is seeking to influence my mind. I have my OWN wants and desires, I say. Well, I got around it this time by picking this book up in a small, well-decorated and horrendously under-stocked and over-priced bookstore in Miami when I was visiting my family last year. I then proceeded to put it off AGAIN for nearly a year before finally reading it, and I feel like an enormous asshat for doing so.

This book is amazing. Seriously, there are almost no words. It is an achievement in children's literature -- and despite the themes of death, some violence, and a lot of scary, scary stuff I do think this belongs in the hands of middle-schoolers, at least. Though that's really just the start. Everyone should be reading this book.

The story follows Nobody Owens, a baby whose family is murdered before the opening chapter of the book. He manages to crawl his way into a cemetery before his would-be murderer manages to realize he's missing. From there, he is raised within the safe walls of the graveyard by the ghosts that reside there, and his mysterious caretaker, Silas, who alone has the power to enter and leave the graveyard at will and so can provide Nobody with clothing, food, etc. His adoptive ghost family -- the Owenses, of course -- provide him with the affection and support he needs to grow up to be an intelligent, inquisitive and empathetic young man.

Yet his murderer is still out there, and as the reader learns more about the group that this killer is apart of, he or she becomes more wrapped up in Nobody's world -- which is, at times, incredibly, surprisingly frightening, but is more often new and exciting and beautifully macabre.

The character development was wonderful. I loved Nobody, his family, the witch he meets (don't want to spoil!) and most of all, his caretaker, Silas, whose self-conscious, uncomfortable concern for Nobody is painfully sweet.

""'We can put the food here,' said Silas. 'It's cool, and the food will keep longer.' He reached into a box, pulled out a banana.
'And what would that be when it was at home?' asked Mrs. Owens, eyeing the yellow and brown object suspiciously.
'It's a banana. A fruit, from the tropics. I believe you peel off the outer covering,' said Silas, 'like so.'
The child -- Nobody -- wriggled in Mrs. Owens's arms, and she let it down to the flagstones. It toddled rapidly to Silas, grasped his trouser-leg and held on.
Silas passed it the banana.
Mrs. Owens watched the body eat. 'Ba-na-na,' she said, dubiously. 'Never heard of them. Never. What's it taste like?'
'I've absolutely no idea,' said Silas, who consumed only one food, and it was not bananas.
"

Honestly, purchase this book now and read it immediately (do as I say, not as I do!) I was left feeling emotions I haven't felt in a long time from a book, and I am honestly still really upset that it's over. Superb writing, excellent story-telling, great characters and original and imaginative world and plot. There's nothing missing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment