Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Walking Dead Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman & Tony Moore

Date Published: 2006, Image.
ISBN: 978-1-58240-672-5
# of Pages: 144

I picked this up yesterday because I've totally been sucked into the AMC TV series adaptation and have never even touched the graphic novels before. I felt really bad, and tomorrow is the season finale and I thought... well, this will certainly help to ward off the inevitable zombie withdrawal, even if I don't wind up liking it as much as the show.

Though honestly, I DO like it. The story is very, very similar to the beginning of the show for... about the first half of this book, I would say, though it runs at a much quicker place. The differences that were present were actually quite large (so far), which is great actually because it makes me want to continue reading because I'm not confident that I can predict what will happen next just based on having seen the show.

What I liked least about this, unfortunately, is the art style. The zombies are actually great, but the human characters are a bit choppy to me, and the male characters specifically are a bit difficult to tell apart. I like Dale a lot less in the book so far than I liked him in the show (he was my favorite character), and all of the others I can kind of give or take in both instances, so I'm hoping that it continues to zero in on the characters some more so I become more attached to them. The one major death in this book I cared very little about, though it was treated like it was significant.

No comments:

Post a Comment